Have you ever had the Taiwanese Crunchoco Cookie made by Yi-Mei (義美）foods? Well if you like crunchy chocolate cookies you will definitely love these! The best way to describe them is crunchy chocolate crumbles bound together in a cookie. They’re addicting!
It’s funny that I never thought too much of these until a recent trip back to Taiwan where I was “reintroduced” to them. Ever since, I’ve always kept a little stash at home. Luckily, you can easily find them here in the US at Chinese groceries.
However, with the recent stay home order we’ve been using curbside pickup for groceries to minimize contact. 99 Ranch is the only Chinese grocer here offering curbside pickup, but unfortunately they charges $6 for personal shopper fee! Boo, what is a cookie craving girl to do?
As I was savoring the last morsels of my cookie, I thought they resembled cornflake cookies. I set out to look for some copycat recipes, and wa-lah! cornflake was the base!
This recipe is extremely easy, and only uses 2 ingredients: Chocolate + cornflakes. It’s essentially a chocolate covered cornflake cookie. They aren’t an exact replica of the real Crunchoco, but still delicious. I’ve given them to several friends who also loved it as well.
For this recipe, I used an equal mixture of Trader Joe’s Pound Plus Dark Chocolate and Milk Chocolate. Since chocolate is 50% of the ingredients, I would recommend using good quality chocolate, or one that you really like eating by itself. I definitely recommend the Trader Joe’s Pound Plus Chocolates!
Crunchoco Cookies Copycat
- 150 g Corn Flakes
- 125 g Milk Chocolate Bar* I used Trader Joe's Pound Plus Milk Chocolate
- 125 g Dark Chocolate Bar* I used Trader Joe's Pound Plus Dark Chocolate
- Chop/break chocolate bar into 1/2" pieces and combine them in microwave safe bowl. Measure out cornflakes and put them in a mixing bowl.
- Heat chocolate on medium level for 1 minute (I heat mine on level 5, with level 10 being the highest). Heat chocolate on high level for 30s, removing every 30s to stir until chocolate is completely melted. Once chocolate is completely melted, pour over cornflakes.
- Gently mix with spatula. Don't worry if some of the cornflakes break, as they will. Continue mixing until all the cornflakes are completely coated with chocolate
- Scoop chocolate covered cornflakes into regular muffin tins, filling about 3/4 full. (One batch makes about 18 servings)**
- Allow to chill for 30 minutes in refridgerator
- Remove from muffin tin and enjoy straight out of the fridge. Store in airtight container in fridge at all times.
Did you make this? Let me know in the comments below how it turned out!