This adorable crayons themed color match activity is perfect for toddlers and preschool students to learn how to recognize and sort colors.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for details. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
I love color match activities for little kids! First, because learning your colors is such a fundamental skill. Second, because the activities come in a array of vibrant colors that attract a little kid’s attention. And finally, because it is such a fun activity and kids can feel so accomplished once they’ve matched all the colors!
Skills that kids will practice with this activity
- Language Skills: Hearing and saying different words (i.e. red crayon. blue crayon, etc)
- Following Instructions: (i.e. Can you find the red crayon? or Where is the yellow crayon?)
- Motor Skills: Picking up the crayons and sticking it onto the crayon card.
- Early Learning Skills: Learning to recognize and sort the different colors.
- Visual Skills: Finding the correct color they need to match.
Crayons Color Match Activity PrintablE
This Free Printable contains the following 9 Sheets:
- Crayon Box Front (x1)
- Crayon Box Back (x1)
- 1 Sheet of Colored Crayons
- Colored Crayons Matching Card (x6)
The 6 different sets of colored crayons matching card allows the kiddos to match different variations of colors for an extra challenge each time. Extra fun!
How Do I Download ThIS FUN Printable?
Please allow up to an hour for the welcome email to fly through cyberspace and travel into your inbox. If you still don’t receive the email, make sure to check your junk or spam folders and add my email to your safe list!
Then, follow the quick and easy tutorial below to learn how to make it!
Before we get started, make sure to gather the following supplies:
- PRINTABLE – Available in the Free MindyMakes Resource Library, subscribe to get a password
- CARD STOCK – For printing front and back of crayon box
- CRAFT SCISSORS
- GLUE STICK
- STICKY VELCRO – also known as self-adhesive velcro. Velcro dots also work great!
- LAMINATOR with LAMINATING SHEETS – highly recommend if you plan to use this activity over and over again. Helps protect the crayon and crayon cards from wear and tear.
How To Assemble Crayon color matching activity
First, cut out the printable. This includes crayon box front, crayon box back, a set of 8 colored crayons, and all the crayon cards.
Fold along white lines on crayon box front.
Alternatively, you can use ruler or straightedge to help you make the fold lines.
Front of box folded along all the lines. Then, repeat for back of crayon box.
Now apply glue stick to white tabs on crayon box back, that say “Apply Glue Here”. Note, this photo does not show the text “Apply Glue Here”.
Next, stick back of box to front of crayon box at the tabs. Make sure to glue it so the yellow tabs is pointing towards the top of the box.
Then, repeat gluing other side of box.
Your crayon box is now done!
Now we are going to put sticky velcro on our crayon cards. Note: Highly recommend to first laminate the crayon cards for extra durability if you plan to use them over and over again. Toddlers and preschool kids tend to be…rough!
Next, cut sticky Velcro (I’m using the loop side) into little strips about 1/2″ (13mm) wide and stick them on each of the crayons of the crayon cards.
Then, grab the individual colored crayons. Again, you can also laminate these crayons for extra durability and then cut them out. I decided not to laminate the crayons as it creates an unsightly glare in the photos.
Finally, cut and stick other side of velcro (hook side) onto the back of each of the colored crayons.
Crayons and crayon cards with Velcro all attached!
Crayons and crayon cards finished!
This fun crayon color match activity is ready for some play time!
Another thing I love about this activity is that once you are done, you can store all the crayons and cards away in the crayon box so they don’t get lost.
- First, cut out the printable. This includes crayon box front, crayon box back, a set of 8 colored crayons, and all the crayon cards.
- Fold along white lines on crayon box front and back.
- Apply glue stick to white tabs on crayon box back, that say "Apply Glue Here".
- Stick back of box to front of crayon box at the tabs. Make sure to glue it so the yellow tabs is pointing towards the top of the box.
- Laminate crayon cards and individual colored crayons and cut them out.
- Cut sticky velcro (I'm using the loop side) into little strips about 1/2" (13mm) wide and stick them on each of the crayons of the crayon cards.
- Repeat cutting sticky velcro (hook side) into little strips and stick them onto the back of each of the colored crayons.
- You are now ready to play colored crayon matching activity!
- Store crayon cards with crayons back in box when not in use.
1. Print crayon box front and crayon box back on cardstock to give your crayon box support and strength. Print the rest of the printable on regular paper and laminate.
More Printable Activities The Kids will Love!
Another fun color matching activity that includes shirts and a laundry machine.
This adorable cookie activity will teach kids how to count and recognize numbers
Kids will have a blast learning about emotions and creating their own using this fun activity.