This DIY doughnut matching activity for kids is a super fun way to practice pattern recognition and problem solving skills. Simply print and glue on recycled materials to make this fun activity the kids will love!
Recently my 3 year old had a “Donuts with Dad” day at preschool and it was such a fantastic event! Dads and grandpas in his class showed up to enjoy donuts and coffee (for the adults) with the kids and read books to them. My toddler couldn’t stop telling everyone about it!
This fun day actually reminded me of the doughnut matching activity I made for him a few months prior. I had gotten everything necessary to write this post. However, it got lost in the list of other ideas swimming in my head. Nevertheless, here it is, and I hope your little one enjoys it!
FREE PRINTABLE DOUGHNUT MATCHING ACTIVITY For Kids
For this activity, kids will place donuts on a board according to a specific pattern on the mini donuts paper (included in free printable). To be successful, toddlers and preschoolers will differentiate between same and different colored donuts. Then, they will use their motor skills to hang the correct doughnut rings on the board.
There’s a total of 9 different colored doughnut rings, all with colorful sprinkles (except the unglazed one with chocolate sprinkles). The activity also comes with 12 different mini donuts paper which are the “matching challenge” your kid needs to complete.
Scroll to the end of the post to subscribe and download our FREE DOUGHNUT MATCHING ACTIVITY FOR KIDS to print.
What Do I need to Make this MATCHING ACTIVITY For Preschoolers?
- FREE DONUTS MATCHING ACTIVITY PRINTABLE – Scroll to the bottom of the post to download – I recommend printing on sticker paper as you can just cut and stick. However, regular paper works just fine too, just need to apply glue.
- CARDBOARD – For this activity, I used thick cardboard box for the back (where the paper towel rolls is stuck on). For the donuts, I used a cereal box. You can also use thick cardboard for the donuts as well. However, I do not recommend using a cereal box for the back. Alternatively, you can also use a thick foam board (available at craft stores and Amazon).
- Cardboard Tube – from a used paper towel roll. Try to find one that is thicker so it’s more sturdy. The one I used is about 1″ wide.
- Glue Stick – if not printing on sticker paper
- Utility Knife
- Craft Scissors
- Clear Ruler
How to Make DOughNUT Matching Activity for Toddlers
First, use a pencil and ruler to mark off 1.5″ (3.8cm) lengths on the paper towel roll. Then, use a utility knife to cut them. You will need a total of 9 pieces.
Next, stick (or glue) the donut printable on cardboard (I’m using a cereal box). Cut them out with scissors or utility knife. Make sure to cut out the inside of the doughnut as well.
Cut a piece of thick cardboard that measures 12″ x 12″ (30.5cm x 30.5 cm). Place all 9 pieces of cardboard rolls on the cardboard as pictured. The rolls are approximately 1″ (2.5cm) from the edge and 3″ (7.6cm) away from each other.
Apply glue and stick all the cardboard rolls to the cardboard.
How to Make Donuts Matching Activity
A fun and engaging activity for toddlers and preschoolers to practice their color matching skills. Made with recycled materials, this donuts activity will surely delight your little one!
- FREE DONUTS MATCHING ACTIVITY PRINTABLE
- CARDBOARD TUBE – from a used paper towel roll. About 1″ wide.
- GLUE STICK – if not printing on sticker paper
- GLUE GUN
- UTILITY KNIFE
- CRAFT SCISSORS
- CLEAR RULER
- LAMINATOR (optional)
- LAMINATING SHEETS (optional)
- Use a pencil and ruler to mark off 1.5" (3.8cm) lengths on the paper towel roll.
- Use a utility knife to cut them. You will need a total of 9 pieces.
- Stick (or glue) the donut printable on cardboard (I'm using a cereal box).
- Cut donuts out with scissors or utility knife. Make sure to cut out the inside of the doughnut as well. *
- Cut a piece of thick cardboard that measures 12" x 12" (30.5cm x 30.5 cm).
- Place all 9 pieces of cardboard rolls on the cardboard. The rolls are approximately 1" (2.5cm) from the edge and 3" (7.6cm) away from each other.
- Use glue gun to stick all the cardboard rolls to the cardboard.
* Alternatively, you can print the donuts out on regular paper, cut them out including the hole, laminate, and cut out donut hole again.
WAYS TO PLAY Fun Doughnut Activity
To play this activity, you can lay the board on a table or on the floor. You can also stick the board on a wall so they can hang each of the doughnut rings, which is what I did. I ended up making an extra little board (to the right on photo) for holding the mini donuts paper.
The extra little board you see in the photo has a clear vinyl pocket and extra piece of cardboard roll. The vinyl pocket is for the mini donuts paper, and the cardboard roll is to store the doughnut rings once you are done playing. This is completely optional, but I think it’s nice for kids to be able to see the paper as they hang their donuts!
Once matching activity is complete, use the donuts for your pretend kitchen or pretend doughnut cafe. Kids’ creativity is endless when it comes to play!
The DONUTS MATCHING ACTIVITY is available in our Free MindyMakes Resource Library, listed under section “D” as Donuts Matching Activity. Subscribe here to get the password.
More Kid’s Matching Activities You’ll Love!
Recognize and match colors with this adorable colored shirt and washing machine activity. Printable in Chinese and English
Teach kids their numbers with by counting chocolate chips in cookies.
Place pictures in the correct slots on the firetruck in this fun and engaging puzzle.
Can’t get enough of Kid’s Matching Activities? Leave a comment if you would like to see more of this type of printable.